As we’ve seen in previous years, the trend in automobiles has shifted towards more electric vehicles on the road, and this year will be no different. 2021 is going to be an exciting year for electric vehicle releases. Many auto manufacturers have already introduced some type of EV model to their line and more are set to come this year. The Ford Mach E will be available late Summer 2021, GMC’s Hummer plans to make their comeback since leaving in 2010, and we may even see Tesla’s long-awaited Cybertruck hit the streets later this year. Even luxury companies like Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi have also added some pretty amazing electric vehicles of their own.
While Tesla is probably the most well known EV manufacturer out there (and still holds the number one spot in our books), there are many emerging “newcomers” in the EV industry that are making major advancement. Chinese auto manufacturers have quickly caught up in the EV race and are producing longer lasting batteries while developing more vehicle types. And there’s a USA based EV start-up that is revolutionizing delivery semi-trucks.
We’ve compiled a list of our top 6 favorite EV companies out there.
- Tesla - Founded in 2003 by Elon Musk. Tesla currently has 4 available models: Model 3 (entry-level sedan), Model X (full-sized SUV) , Model Y (midsize SUV), Model S (high performance sedan). Future models: Roadster, Cybertruck, Semi and Quad.
- Nio - Established in 2014 by 2014 by William Li in China. Models: ES8 (flagship SUV), ES6 (midsize suv), ET7 (sedan - Tesla Model 3 competitor), EC6 (smallest SUV), EP9 (2-seater sports car).
- Xpeng - Founded in 2014 in Guangzhao China by Henry Xia (Xia Heng) and He Tao. Currently carries 2 models: G3 (SUV) & P7 (sedan).
- Li Auto - Founded in 2015 by CEO and Chairman Li Xiang. Their SUV called “One”, is a luxury midsize crossover SUV and is also the first vehicle from the Chinese auto manufacturer.
- Nikola - Founded by Trevor Milton in 2014 and is an American based startup from Salt Lake City. They have developed semi trucks that are fully electric and carry 2 models by the name “Tre” and “Two”. The “Tre” is a day delivery truck, while the “Two” is able to do longer hauls and is equipped with a sleeper.
Rivian - Founded in 2009 by Rivian Automotive, by 36 year old Robert "R.J." Scaringe. The company is also a USA founded EV start up focusing on SUV and trucks. Currently they carry 2 models, “R1T” (truck) and R1S (SUV).